So I just went for my 6 month check up with the Neurologist. While I was there lots happend!
1. I walk in the door and he asks if I have gotten my flu shot yet. Well no, so I am on a mission to get the H1N1 flu shot when it becomes available. I am a perfect candidate to get it. Under 34 and I have an Autoimmune disease. So I got my regular Flu Shot today and now will call & bug the Health Dept until they get their doses in. I also just found out that one of my co-worker's kid has it so I have to be extra careful. He may not have any symptoms but he may be caring it.
2. I told him that I have had 2 relapses since July. One of them is still pretty prevalent, I was quite scared of doing the Steroid treatment due to all the side effects. He says my left hand may never recover it may always have the tingling. Only time will tell. The most recent one started 2 weeks ago Tuesday. It is all over numbness. The only thing right now that is not numb is the right arm & my head. So he recommended that I get the Steroid treatment! Yeah! It consists of 3 days for an hour.
3. Steroid treament is a biotch! My first was on Friday morning before work. I sat for an hour with an IV hooked up with 100 mg, I think, of Solumedrol and a saline mix. While it was happening was no big deal, what's another needle when I get to inject myself 3 times a week anyways. So they insert the IV but instead of leaving the needle in there is a pvc tube that is left in my arm. Not sure why they use that vs the needle but it definitely is not as sore. After effects were all day. At first it was hot sweats (now I know what it is like to go through the change) where I was peeling off clothing because I was sweating so bad even though it was freezing! I got lots of energy which was great. Got lots done! The night however was terrible. Rodney & I tried a new place, Wing Heaven (awesome BTW). Well the combo of the wings & the drugs has kicked in some major heartburn! We were basically out of Pepto so I tried the good ol Rolaids, did nothing. To make things worse I couldn't fall asleep my heart was beating way too fast! So as I am laying awake @ 2 am I almost made a late night trip to Meijer for Pepto. Toooo Lazy! Got about 3 hours of sleep last night with no outlook of rest for the day. I went for Trip #2 this morning. So far not too bad. Heartburn still going! Stopped @ Meijer stocked up on Pepto, Tums & Sleeping Aids. Big Griffins game tonite & a house warming party. Can't drink so Mrs. DD to your service. Tomorrow is the final dose. Going to a movie with Sarah and hitting the grocery store. Hoping I can get some rest before the work week begins. Very glad that I decided to get these doses during the weekend or there would be sheer hell @ work I think.
4. Finally, MRI #3 for the year on it's way! Due to the fact that I have had 2 relapses in the last 6 months, the Neurologist wants another MRI to see if my Rebif is doing what it should be. Could just be a fluke I am getting them so close together; stress, etc.... The average is 1.6 relapses per year. I am still taking the Rebif he wants to look at the scan first to see if I have any new lesions. That should hopefully happen sometime next week.
So MS sux if you didn't know. I am living everyday though. Had a few bad days last week but I am feeling better, except for this damned heartburn! I will update once I get some news about my MRI and hopefully by then I will be anti- H1N1. :) Thanks for all the support to my friends & family. This is going to be a long battle and I am glad you are all here for me in your prayers, thoughts and kind words.
No comments:
Post a Comment